Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Root Beer and Salad

Mr. Laura informed me this morning that he had tasted root beer for the first time this past weekend when he slept over at a friend's house. I asked him how he liked it. Evidently it was a tongue tingling, taste bud extravaganza that he thoroughly enjoyed. I stated that I had never liked root beer. I still vividly remember my first taste of root beer when I was six years old. It left an impression on me quite different from Mr. Laura's experience. He was really baffled that someone could not LOVE root beer and so the questioning began.....

Mr. Laura: Why don't you like root beer?

Ma: I don't know.

Mr. Laura (not satisfied with the answer): Yeah, but why don't you like it?

Ma: I just don't like the way it tastes.

Mr. Laura (still not satisfied): What don't you like about the taste?

Ma: I really don't know.

More questioning along these lines continued for what felt like hours and finally concluded with these last few exchanges.

Mr. Laura (getting exasperated): What do you mean you don't know?

Ma (getting equally exasperated): I just don't. Why don't you like brussel sprouts?

Mr. Laura (quite triumphantly): Because they taste like salad without sauce.

If I follow Mr. Laura's line of reasoning to its conclusion, then for me root beer tastes like a root without the beer. Perhaps this answer will satisfy him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am blogger-naturalmom- Stephanie's mom. I don't blog, but I read her's pretty regularly and always read the posts to see what other interesting people are doing. I enjoyed reading some of your posts today and plan to visit often to follow the antics of your family :-) Like Stephanie, you have children fortunate to have a mom who can see the important things about growing up loved and loving.

Linda

Just Me said...

Hi Linda,

I replied to your comment a few days ago, but it doesn't appear to have shown up.

You made my day when I read your comment. Thank you.

I am a big fan of Stephanie's blog and check it regularly. Even though I don't personally know her, I feel like I could sit down for tea with her and end up talking the afternoon away.

Best Wishes,
Kimberly