Sunday, June 3, 2007

The Best Kind of Quiet

We awoke this morning to cooler temps and a slow and steady rain. Perfect conditions for a lazy morning and eventually some intensive cleaning. Our kitchen has been a bit of a disaster lately. With all of the trips we have been making to see my mom, the kitchen counters have become a collection point for all sorts of items. If there is one room in my house that I need to have clean and neat, it is the kitchen. I become miserable and grumpy until order is reestablished. Pa and I decided to give it a thorough cleaning today. We banished the kids and dogs from the kitchen and got to work.

Sometime while cleaning, we realized the house had become extremely quiet. When you live with five kids, a quiet house is rare and is usually not a good sign. Unsure of what may be going on, I decided to investigate. Here's what I found:


On the rare occasions that I find myself alone in my house, I never enjoy it as much as I expect to. I often find myself counting down the hours until everyone is back home safe and sound. The silence of an empty house always leaves me with feelings of longing and uneasiness. Today's quiet was sublime. Today's silence, while it lasted, filled me with peace and contentment.

3 comments:

naturalmom said...

Oh my, what a peaceful kind of quiet indeed! (And what a RARE occurance it must be for them all to fall asleep at once, lol!) Glad you were able to enjoy it and get your kitchen back in order.

Stephanie

Just Me said...

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for your comment. I also appreciated your comment on "Silver Linings". I just haven't had the time to be on the computer much lately.

With regards to the five of them falling asleep, I can honestly say it has never happened in the middle of the day before.:) Mr. Garvey on his own has been encouraging them to lay down after lunch each day for a rest. He usually falls asleep for an hour. One or two of the others may join him on any given day. I'm sure if I had come up with the idea, it would not have been met with such willing acceptance. However, Mr. Garvey's word is as good as gold with Mary, Miss Almanzo, and Mr. Laura.

Kimberly

Anonymous said...

Hi Sis!

I am not sure I have EVER seen it that clean!!! And what a cute picture of the kids. L and R thought that they would see you all today before we left Mom's house. They were very disappointed when I explained that we are alternating weeks!

Cyndi