Monday, July 16, 2007

Okra Recipe


Well I've got at least one other person interested in trying okra. Naturalmom, author of one of my favorite blogs, left a comment asking for the recipe. Here is the recipe for Naturalmom and anyone else out there who may be interested.


The recipe is from Crescent Dragonwagon's (don't you love that name!) book Passionate Vegetarian. Give 1 lb. of okra pods a quick rinse and pat dry and place in a shallow baking dish. (She recommends skewering the pods. I didn't bother and it worked out just fine.) Pour marinade of choice over the pods. They will not be swimming in marinade; it may be necessary to rub the marinade around a bit to distribute it equally. Marinate for 1 to 2 hours at room temperature or up to 6 hours refrigerated.

Preheat grill to high and then lower heat to medium. Place the okra on the grill and cook until the first side is grill-marked, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the pods and grill the second side for 3 minutes. Serve immediately.


Now for the marinades: She gives three choices. I have only ever tried the Indian version. If anyone else tries the Mediterranean or South of the Border, let me know what you thought.


Put all ingredients in a food processor and buzz until smooth, scraping down the sides if necessary.


Mediterranean: 6 to 8 large leaves of fresh basil; 2 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered; 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped; 2 tablespoons olive oil; 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar; and 2 teaspoons of salt.


South of the Border: 2 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered; 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped; 1/2 bunch cilantro leaves; juice of 1 lemon; 2 tablespoons olive oil; 2 teaspoons adobo sauce; 1/4 can chipotle pepper in adobo; and 2 teaspoons salt.


Indian: 2 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered; 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped; 1/3 cup cilantro leaves; juice of 1 lime; 2 tablespoons sesame or peanut oil; 2 teaspoons salt; 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger, peeled and chopped; 1 teaspoon cumin; 1 teaspoon turmeric; and 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne.


Here's hoping you like it as much as I did. If not, that's ok. It just means there is more okra left for me.:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sis!

We tried the mediterranean okra tonight at supper. As we were making the marinade, Sunny suggested that we also use it on the pork tenderloin that we were grilling. I really liked the okra. They are best when they are hot! Sunny was up in the air about them. He thinks they need to cook until they are black. L and R hardly took a bite before they were wanting to spit them out. We will definitely use the marinade again. And I will cook the okra again...even if I am the only one to eat them!

Cyndi

naturalmom said...

Sorry to be so long in commenting! I saw the recipe almost right away, but I haven't found the okra yet to try it. That is to say, I found some old yucky-looking okra imported from who knows where in the supermarket, but I'm still hoping to find some fresh from a local market gardener at the farmer's market. Even though it's traditionally a southern crop, I'm pretty sure I've seen a few folks growing it around here. Probably transplanted southerners! ;o) I'll let you know when I finally get to try it!

Stephanie