Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Recent Utterances, Cosmic Humor, An Announcement, and Divine Punishment

Some conversations that I had one week in early September:

My mom: Did you know J. (my cousin) is going to have another child in April?
Me: Oh that's great! I wouldn't mind having another baby myself.
My mom: That's the last thing you need.
Me: Don't worry, I'm getting too old for that anyway.

I relayed the above conversation to Pa and we had the following conversation:

Pa: Do you really think you are too old to actually get pregnant?
Me: At 41, yea. As women age, their luteal phase of their cycle often becomes too short and it can make getting pregnant difficult. At this point all of the stars, planets, and moons would have to be in alignment - you know, nothing short of "perfect celestial harmony ".
Pa (laughing): That's reassuring.

Pa and I first heard the term "perfect celestial harmony" in reference to toilet-training toddlers. It has been kind of a joke between us when something lucky happens like finding a good parking space or realizing that all of the kids have busied themselves with something (relatively) quiet.

I also relayed the conversation with my mom to a friend of mine and here's how part of our conversation went:

Friend: Do you really want to have another child?
Me: It's not so much that I want to have another child. I just like knowing that I could if I wanted to. The fact that one day it will be impossible to be pregnant is the one thing that really bothers me about aging. It would be cool to know I still "have it".

One more conversation between Pa and I:

Me: Mr. Laura came down this morning and wanted to sit in my lap. He is getting so big that I realized I don't have much time left before I won't have a child I can carry. It makes me kind of sad.
Pa: What about Miss Almanzo?
Me: She may be 2 1/2 years younger, but she is almost as tall as Mr. Laura and weighs more than he does. Her days are numbered too.

In case you don't see where this is going, it does indeed appear that perfect celestial harmony occurred sometime around August 25. My expected September period was late and then later and then later and so far has yet to make an appearance. I explained it away as the beginning of peri-menopause. The old body is finally starting to sputter and stall -the beginning of the end. I knew deep down this wasn't true though. Too many pregnancy symptoms were beginning to appear - waves of nausea, a ridiculously heightened sense of smell, bone-crushing fatigue, middle of the night trips to pee, aversions to any and all food. I finally peed on the stick and it confirmed my "haveitness". Pa is currently in denial and keeps vacillating between "How did this happen? I'm never going to get to retire" and "adding one tiny infant with no language or grief issues has got to be a piece of cake compared to what we just did" (That is adding three non-English speaking big children to our family at one time.)

I am currently a tangle of emotions and thoughts as the reality sets in. I am on the cusp of being a mother to 6. Yikes! How did I get here? One of my all time favorite movies is Out of Africa. There is a line in that movie that keeps playing in my head over and over. Denys Finch Hatton has just suggested that he could keep his things at Tanne's house and come and go from there. It is not the commitment she is hoping for from Denys, but it is a big gesture on his "live one day at a time" part. She responds by saying "When the gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers." That is exactly how I feel right now.

9 comments:

naturalmom said...

I *did* see where it was going!! I was holding my breath, lol! Congratulations!

You know I can relate to your mixed emotions. We had been *trying* for #3 and I still had fears about how a new baby would disrupt the balance our family had settled into. I'm only 2 1/2 weeks into my new baby venture, but so far it's been delightful. It makes such a difference to have your existing children be older. It helps to have an "easy" baby too, which I seem to have in spades. I'll send you some spare easy baby vibes!

Whohoo! I'm excited for you and your family! Tell your dh that he *will* be able to retire -- he'll have 6 kids to support him in his old age. Hee hee! ;o)

Stephanie

Just Me said...

Thanks Stephanie,

I remember the first post I ever read of yours was about your mixed emotions over having a #3. The fact that I have 5 excited capable helpers will make it that much easier. At least that is what I'm telling myself. I'm glad to hear that it is going so well for you. I'll hold onto your thoughts as I begin this journey.

I told Pa about your retirement comment. We both liked it. We had not considered it from that perspective! Now we just have to get them to go along with the plan.:)

I'll be on the lookout for those good baby vibes.

Kimberly

Victoria said...

Congratulations! How exciting - a new blessing! I look forward to reading about this new adventure!!

Anonymous said...

WOW WOW WOW!!! this is wonderful!
-jean

Just Me said...

Thanks Victoria. I definitely think this will be an adventure. I am still trying to get my head around 6! Yikes.

Hello Jean,
Thanks for the comment. Your uncle and I are still a bit in shock as this was not *we* had obviously thought we'd be doing at this point in our lives. We're rolling with the punches though. A new baby will be sweet and it will be fun to watch the other five fawn over and love a little one. We can't wait to see you guys in December. Hope everything is well. Hugs and Kisses to W. from us.
Kimberly

ShaDan JeM said...

I don't know if you had that same converasation with another friend, too, but I remember those words from you, and thought about that recently. -D

Anonymous said...

yes, i can't wait to see you guys in december. it will be so nice to finally meet everyone :).
love,
jean

blooming desertpea said...

That's excitement of the finest! I think congratulations are in order. With your 5 great helper I'm sure everything will go just fine. I bet they will argue about who is entitled to look after the little person ...

Just Me said...

Thanks blooming deserpea! I think you are right about all of the help. I figure this time around the actual newborn phase will be easy. I'll have lots and lots of help. It is the first trimester of nausea and fatigue while trying to still be a mom to 5 that has been difficult. I see the light at the end of that tunnel though. I figure in about 2 more weeks I should be feeling human again.