Thursday, June 26, 2008

Goodbye Mom, Goodbye Nana

My mom (Nana to the kids) passed away yesterday afternoon. We found out her cancer had returned the day before Baby A was born. It was not a surprise. We had seen some decline in the preceding month or so, but had not heard officially that the cancer was back. This time it had invaded her spine and taken away much of her physical abilities. In these 4 short weeks she went from assisted living back to the nursing home to the hospital and then finally to hospice. I had not expected the decline to be so rapid.

Over the past 2 years, she gave her cancer a good fight with hardly a complaint or demand through all of the surgeries, the chemo, and the radiation. There was nothing medicine could do for her this time.

One of her last wishes was to meet Baby A. I took him down when he was 2 weeks old. Here is a picture of her holding him. What I love about this picture is that it was Baby A that reached out and held mom's finger.



One more of her holding him...



She will be deeply missed by us all, but we are comforted to know that she is no longer in pain and that the suffering is over. I cannot say enough wonderful things about our hospice experience. What a blessing and an asset for the community.

5 comments:

naturalmom said...

I'm so sorry for your family's loss. What a blessing that she was able to see her new grandson before she passed. That must be some comfort.

Stephanie

blooming desertpea said...

Congrats for the baby, he looks adorable and I'm sure everyone in the family is thrilled. On the other hand, I'm sorry for the loss of your mother. Great thing she was able to meet baby A, though. Your situation shows perfectly how the circle of life works - one comes, one goes. And we never know when it's time for us to go - fortunately.

Just Me said...

Thanks Stephanie and blooming desertpea. We just got back home. We had a really nice service yesterday. It's funny how funerals are never as sad as I expect them to be. I think this is mainly because you get to see so many people that you don't see on a regular basis. On the other hand, I think this week will be particularly hard as all the formalities are over, but my mom's passing has not really sunk in yet.

blooming desertpea - you are so right about the circle of life. I have a blogpost brewing in my head right now and I was going to give it the title "The Circle of Life".

Thanks again,
Kimberly

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mom. i hope you and the kids are doing okay. baby a is such a little dumpling-- can't wait to meet him.
love,
jean, evan, walker, and a dumpling of our own due in about two weeks now (!)

Just Me said...

Thanks Jean,

It's been a rough month, but we are doing okay. I can't wait to hear about your new dumpling. I just took Baby A. to his 1 month check up and he was 11.5 lbs. and 22 inches long. All I could think was how did Jean do it. Walker was still inside at that size. Terri said in an email that you are hoping to VBAC. I'll be sending you some good thoughts and energy. Can't wait to hear the news.

Kimberly