Thursday, August 16, 2007

Hummingbird Saved by Mr. Laura


I have discussed in earlier posts here and here about the animal lover that Mr. Laura is and his desire to be a veterinarian one day. This morning Mr. Laura was inspired to try and save a tiny, barely alive hummingbird Mr. Garvey had found laying on the floor of our sunroom. He acted quickly and confidently. He carefully picked up the tiny bird and placed him outside on the deck. Next, Mr. Laura was back in asking to make sugar water to feed the bird. As I prepared the bowl of sugar water for him, I suggested that he move the bird to a shadier, cooler spot. I brought the bowl of sugar water out to where Mr. Laura had placed the bird and began pouring it onto the hummingbird's beak hoping some would find its way into his mouth. Nothing happened. I for one thought the bird looked too far gone to be revived. Mr. Laura thought otherwise. He took the bowl from me saying, "you need to put him inside the bowl not pour the water on him." He gently lifted the bird and placed him in the bowl. Within 5 seconds the bird sat bolt upright and began to drink the sugar water. A moment later he flew away full of life. Mr. Edwards, Mr. Garvey, Mary, Miss Almanzo and I cheered and clapped for the bird and congratulated Mr. Laura on a job well done. You should have seen the smile on his face as he said, "Wow, I really have saved my first animal. This is good practice for when I am a veterinarian." I'd say he is well on his way.

2 comments:

naturalmom said...

What a gift. That's a wonderful story.

Stephanie

Just Me said...

Thanks. We all seemed to walk around with smiles on our faces just thinking about the hummingbird's comeback. It was a nice day.