Monday, November 5, 2007

Wanting Things that Don't Matter Not to Matter

Mr. Garvey is a wonderful person. I often hear many complimentary comments from other adults who come in contact with him. They usually tell me how polite he is, how well-mannered and well-behaved he is, how mature he is, how smart he is, how athletic he is, how he looks out for the younger kids and plays well with everyone. All of this is true.

Underneath all of this, though, is young boy who has known and seen suffering that I can't begin to imagine. He grieves daily for his Ethiopian family that he loves and misses more than he can say. Sometimes a sound or smell triggers a memory and you can see the sadness sweep over his face. He becomes very quiet and introverted, lost in his thoughts and memories. He use to cry, but he rarely does that anymore because he has realized how much it upsets his sisters. He remembers his Ethiopian father's mandate that he must take care of his sisters. So he soldiers on silently and stoically waiting for the melancholia to pass. He waits to feel more settled and then returns to being his usual upbeat and determined self.

His life in U.S. has been pretty uneventful in a good way. He has transitioned into a new family, country, culture, and language with very few bumps in the road. He has embraced the many opportunities he now has without losing his perspective. Mr. Garvey has opened his heart to us and accepted us without reserve. He has forgiven us for any of our missteps along the way and is always willing to let us try again.

I have been pleased and relieved that Mr. Garvey and his sisters have been so openly accepted by our families, neighbors, and community at large. Racism, at least anything overt, has been non-existent. However, I knew at some point living in a small southern town that one of my kids would be the recipient of a cruel and confusing comment about skin color. It happened to Mr. Garvey the other night at gymnastics.

A new boy joined his class last week and teased him that he has been eating too much chocolate and that is why his skin is so dark. He went on to suggest that Mr. Garvey start drinking white milk as a means to becoming white. Mr. Garvey told him that he liked his skin color and did not want to change it. New Boy replied, "I doubt that. Nobody would want to have skin that is your color."

I want to tell New Boy how presumptuous and cruel and disturbing his comments are. I want to tell him that it is who we are and what we do with our lives that is more important than what any of us look like. I want him to know what Mr. Garvey knows. I want him to know what is like to live without enough food. I want him to know what it is like to see your own father refuse to eat so that you and your siblings may eat. I want him to know what it feels like to know that escaping the grinding poverty depends on getting an education but that your family only has enough money to send the oldest son to school and that's not you. I want him to know how it feels to be alone herding goats when a lion shows up. I want him to know how your life depends on being able to climb high and fast into a tree. I want him to understand how it feels to lose everything sacred and familiar and to begin again with strangers in a strange land. I want him to know how it feels to be told you are less than others because of a way you look. Of course, I don't literally wish any of these trials and tribulations on anyone including New Boy, but I do wish for things that don't matter not to matter.

Mr. Garvey wants me to let the matter drop. He doesn't want to cause any trouble. He understands that what New Boy said is wrong and cruel. He tells me that it is New Boy's problem not his. He is prepared to just ignore New Boy. I feel ignoring this is not acceptable. We have agreed, for now, that I will speak privately to his coach so that he can keep an ear out for any inappropriate remarks in the future.

Anyone else have any wisdom they'd like to share?

14 comments:

Victoria said...

This post made me cry - not for how mean and obviously mis-raised New Boy is, but how wonderful Mr. Garvey is.

I have no wisdom, but recently wrote about the Mean Boys in our neighborhood throwing around the "Gay" word. I called them out on it and will say something to their mother next time she shows up around the cul de sac. Ignorance and prejudice or inexcusable. Is there an opportunity to talk to the parents of New Boy.

Sigh. This post really hit me.

ShaDan JeM said...

Ma -
Talked with J on the drive home the other day. He hadn't heard anything. But when I explored the subject me he said that is dumb, chocolate doesn't give you dark skin. You are born one way or the other. We roll played responding...
"xxx is my cousin/friend and that is mean. Please stop." And then to tell me. Maybe that, too, will help. -D

Just Me said...

Hi Victoria,

I found your post concerning the Mean Boys on your blog. I'm sorry that happened. Especially given that it is happening at your home practically. It makes the situation all the more difficult knowing that this is right outside your front door. It sounds like you handled it well. I hope the Mean Boys have toned themselves down.

Thanks for the suggestion about talking to the parents. Tonight is gymnastics night and I am going to try and figure out who they are.

Just Me said...

Hey D,

Thanks for talking to J about it. Mr. Garvey and I have gone over several things he can say similar to what you and J role played. I do plan on staying for his whole class tonight.

-K

naturalmom said...

I don't even know how to respond to this. It's heartbreaking and infuriating at the same time. I might ask my husband what he thinks. He didn't have the same level of tragedy in his family as Mr. G., but he knows what it's like to leave your impoverished country (Haiti in his case) as a boy and be thrust into a society where people make big deals over small things and where the racial dynamics can be confusing.

I hope all goes well tonight. You must have butterflies in your stomach. I know I would.

Anonymous said...

I'm still crying when I write this, you wrote so beautifully of what Mr. Garvey had been through. As your words show, you get what he goes through and this will give him a lot of strength. Its so great that you asked him what he thinks would be a good way to work it out, and I don't know that there's a perfect solution, but for Mr. Garvey to know that you are willing to go to bat for him if he needs it, that you are tuned in to what this must be like for him, and that you care about how he wants to handle it, is far more important than exactly what you end up saying or not saying to the boy or the parents. Ah, if we could only infuse a little of that enlightenment into that other child....

Leigh Ann

blooming desertpea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
blooming desertpea said...

Mr. Garvey certainly is a wise boy. I agree with him that it is indeed New Boy's problem. I would let Mr. Garvey drop it for this time. Yet, I would suggest that if something like this ever happens again, Mr. Garvey use his wisdom and teach the other boy the real values in life and that skin color is one of those things that don't matter.

As I realise that I am two days late with this - I am just wondering how it went if you met the parents?

Just Me said...

Hi Stephanie,

I would love to hear what F. has to say. Sounds like he could certainly offer some insights.

Kimberly

PS, I haven't commented on your last blog entry yet, but do tell F congratulations on his first marathon. Makes me tired just thinking about it.

Just Me said...

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for commenting. I tend to get invested in making sure that I do exactly the "right" thing. Sometimes to a point where I end up doing nothing. I found your comments comforting and a great reminder that the actions I take don't have to be "right" (as there may not be one), but that more importantly my actions support Mr. G.

Just Me said...

Hi blooming desertpea,

Thanks for your thoughts. As far as what happened, I did not meet with the parents. Mr. G really did not want this. I did speak with his coach, who was concerned and said he will definitely keep an ear out. I am pleased to report that nothing of consequence happened last night at his class.

As far as Mr. G using his wisdom, I think you hit the nail on the head. I have seen him win over many a people who may have been a bit standoffish or uncomfortable around him initially. He does have a knack for getting folks to see past appearances. I'm sure he just sees New Boy as another challenge and feels confident that he can handle it.

naturalmom said...

Kimberly,

I read your post to Firmin last night. He's with Mr. Garvey that it's best to let it go. Mr. G. responded with dignity, and doing more than that -- especially drawing in adults directly -- might risk escalating the situation. Firmin said something about how that's the nature of boys and ridicule. Sad, but probably true.

I don't agree that adults should let a boy flounder in a situation where he is being repeatedly victimized, but Mr. G. seemed to handle New Boy well and seems to be satisfied with how he handled it. Hopefully New Boy will see that he's not going to get a big rise out of Mr. G. and will back off. As you intimated in the last comment, changing someone's prejudice is more often a matter of slow conversion rather than heated confrontation.

Stephanie

Just Me said...

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for taking the time to speak with Firmin about it. Also big thanks to Firmin for his thoughts. I really appreciate his input as someone who has probably been there, done that. Thanks for being a part of the "village" that is helping me raise my kids.

I absolutely love your phrasing "changing someone's prejudice is more often a matter of slow conversion rather than heated confrontation." Sounds like a wonderfully succinct mantra for me to start repeating.

I can't tell you and the other commenters how much I appreciate all of the input. I feel very at peace with the way both Mr. Garvey and I handled it.

Kimberly

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ma, I meant to comment on this last week... I was so pleased to see this post at first because, as you may know, I love Mr. Garvey. I really fell for him in Addis, and I remember the driver, T, bragging on him too. Our second son is much younger than Mr. G, but spending time with Mr. G is what had me wanting to go back to Addis so soon after our first adoption.

And then I was so bummed to read about this awful new kid. I really can't see how this kind of comment has anything to do with being new, unless it's because he was somehow trying to let other kids know he was racist, to test the waters with other kids. But what he said is so terrible--you don't just make that up on the fly if you've never thought of it before.

I don't have any short term suggestions. I'm wondering if your kids have much chance to be around other black people, to be someplace where there are enough black people where it's you and Pa and the other boys who are the minority? Maybe it'd be a way for them to take a deep breath and relax and feel comfortable, if only for a little bit.

I'm very comfortable, in general, in Egypt, but I have a trip coming up to London in December, and I have to say I'm excited to go someplace where I'll blend it. Maybe your newest kids would appreciate that too?

Good luck and please do blog an update of this. And give Mr. G our love.